Why AVID You Ask? Take a Look!
The Mission of AVID
The misssion of AVID is to ensure that ALL students, and most especially the least served students are in the middle:
- will succeed in rigorous curriculum,
- will complete a rigorous college preparatory path,
- will enter mainstream activities of the school,
- will increase their enrollment in four-year colleges, and
- will become educated
What AVID is...
- AVID is an acronym that stands for Advancement Via Individual Determination
- AVID is an in-school academic support program for grades 4-12 that prepares students for college eligibility and success.
- AVID places academically average students in advanced classes.
- AVID levels the playing field for minority, rural, low-income, and other students without a college-going tradition in their families.
- AVID is for ALL students, but it targets those in the academic middle.
- AVID is implemented schoolwide and districtwide.
- AVID isn't a remedial program.
- AVID isn't a free ride.
- AVID isn't a niche program.
- AVID isn't a college outreach program.
AVID Essentials in a Nutshell
- Students are selected from the middle and would benefit from AVID support to improve their academic records and begin college preparation.
- Student and teacher participation is voluntary.
- The school is committed to full implementation: AVID is scheduled as an academic elective.
- AVID students are enrolled in a rigorous curriculum.
- A strong, relevant writing and reading curriculum is a basis for learning in the AVID elective class.
- Inquiry is used as a basis for instruction in the AVID classroom.
- Collaboration is used as a basis for instruction in the AVID classroom.
- Trained tutors regularly facilitate student access to rigorous curriculum using AVID methodologies.
- Program implementation and student progress are monitored through the AVID Data System and results are analyzed to ensure success.
- The school or district identifies resources for program costs, supports the Essentials, participates in certification, and commits to AVID staff development.
- Active, interdisciplinary site teams collaborate on issues of access to and success in rigorous college preparatory classes.